Saturday, September 06, 2008

Speaking for myself

I went to an Obama rally today with a couple of friends: Rachel (co-worker) and Sharon (former co-worker). We also found another friend, Ray (former co-worker), there as well.

This election year's rally was different from the 2004 rally I attended at the same place in that this time there were a few picketers with signs about abortion and gay rights. Because surely the issues I care about as a Democrat--health care, the economy, an end to the war, quality education, etc.--are worthless if I also believe a woman should have the final say over her own body and that two adults of the same sex can have a loving and committed relationship together if they so choose.

Politics--it's a hot topic that no one wants to touch. Not that I blame them. I've just edited the above paragraph three times so as not to overly offend anyone. But whatever. It's my blog and I'll outcry if I want to.

There were some great speeches made today. I especially liked one of the district representative's comments about Democrats too long turning the other cheek to Republican lies and that it's time to get angry and stand up to the bullying. I paraphrased, but it was quite moving. I'm tired of getting anti-Obama emails from people who think they're educating me but who in fact are just forwarding another person's propaganda, which always ends up being quotes taken out of context or just flat-out lies anyway. Educate yourselves, people! Don't believe everything sent in an email or what your neighbor says. Go to the source if you can, beginning with local and state representatives. Or visit offical Web sites that are approved by the candidate you're researching, so at least you know if he/she regards the information as truth.

I don't care what you believe in or for whom you want to vote--just don't get involved with the dirtyness of it all. Just know that someone else may have a different opinion, and that's not a reason to attack them.

2 comments:

i i eee said...

I can't wait for election season to be over with. I've heard the nastiest things come from both sides.

I'm still undecided though. I tire of both parties, and I agree with different things from both. I'm probably more in the conservative camp economically, but what the hell do I really know about economics? Nada.

I don't have a problem with gay marriage. It certainly isn't allowed in my religion, but church and state should be separate, and gays should be able to marry if they so please.

Abortion's a tricky one for me though. If it weren't for Planned Parenthood, there would probably be far too many "amateur" abortions going on. People are too crazy. At the same time, I'm definitely against partial birth abortion.

I'm having a hard time jumping right on the Obama train. It all just sounds too good to be true. That and, Oprah. Oprah scares me, y'all. Also, I watched some clips of him speaking about the Georgia/Russia thing... that kinda scared me a little.

April said...

It's really difficult to maintain calm when people just start pushing all your buttons, isn't it?

Oprah may be backing Obama, but Bush is backing McCain. Which is scarier?? :)