Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"A house needs a grandma in it." ~Louisa May Alcott


I know I haven't written in a long time, haven't even felt like it. I've shared almost everything on this blog, though mostly I've kept it light and funny. Today I'll explain a little of why I've been so silent of late.

I guess things started to take a toll on me over the summer, and I didn't feel it was appropriate to be sharing with the world. As you know, I've lived with my grandparents since college. About the time I moved in, my grandmother, Lorraine, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Medicine can only slow down the disease so much, and the last year and a half got pretty tough. We never left Grams alone; she couldn't cook anymore; we had to lock the closet doors because she spent most of her days rummaging and "discovering" things.

And then the days started coming faster and faster when she didn't remember my grandpa. Now, my grandma has always been a feisty lady. If a stranger budged in front of her in line at Burger King, she wouldn't hesitate to put them back in their place. If someone marked their wicker basket at $5 at their garage sale, Grandma's look of contempt would not be hidden. I'm pretty sure I take after her more than anyone else. So when she started to not recognize her own husband, thinking he was a bossy stranger, you'd better believe things turned ugly.

Then she thought her dead brothers would come take her back home. Or she worried her father, dead more than 30 years, would wonder where she was. Every day--every hour--was different from the next. "Well, let's go home," she'd say. So we'd take her for long drives two or three times a night, then pull into the same driveway at the same house we'd left from, and she'd be satisfied that she'd left someplace and was now home.

When she didn't recognize us, she tried escaping the house, and it didn't usually go well. Through this past July, I'd wake up about 25-30 times a night, hyperalert for movement or noises, fearing Grandma might fall down the stairs or make her way outside. It was mentally and physically exhausting.

On Aug. 3, my grandfather, uncle and aunt took my grandma to a nursing home. The hardest part was that she had so many lucid moments. Though, yes, it was more frequent that she was constantly trying to leave, to "go home," there were just as many times when she was lovingly kissing her husband, patting his cheeks, calling him sweetheart, telling him she loved him. I can't even tell you how many times in her first three weeks at the nursing home we almost went back to bring her home again.

It's been hard on our family, especially my grandpa. He celebrated 60 years of marriage with her in June; now he drives 11 miles to visit for a couple of hours with her. Sometimes she begs to come home. More recently, she's blank. The downhill march of Alzheimer's is so much quicker than you'd expect.

Nothing is the same without her. She used to bake all the time; Gramps has quite the sweet tooth. Grandma used to work at the church, donating time and talents with cooking, cleaning, etc. She was a wonderful crafter, sewing draft dodgers, pillows, wall hangings, crazy little snowmen. She used to make these gorgeous baskets with lights and pine cones that she'd highlight with glittered paint. I remember several winters where I accompanied her to craft fairs, where she sold all her goodies. She loved coffee, and she always ate weird food combinations, like a hunk of cheese, a gingersnap cookie, and a handful of peanuts. She hated Judge Judy, or "that old bitch," as Gram called her. She loved "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" and playing Yahtzee. She has knickknacks galore in the house.
Everywhere you look, you see her. Except she's not there. That's the hardest of all.

10 comments:

i i eee said...

You and your family are in our prayers.

Carina said...

I'm so sorry, April.

The house we purchased belonged to an elderly couple. He passed several years ago, but she has Alzheimer's and is now in a facility.

Our house is full of Alzheimer reminders: the doors have deadbolt locks on both sides (instead of a flip on the inside) there are little post-it notes everywhere to help her remember how to do things ("hot" and "cold" on faucets, instructions on fireplace dampener, etc.) All of those little things, we find more of them everyday, make me feel sad for what she inevitably lost on the progression of the disease. It's upsetting.

I'm so very sorry.

Nemesis said...

Aw April, I'm so sorry. I have loved reading your "grandma" stories and I'm so sorry that you're all going through this now. I do think she is so lucky to have a family who loves her so much, even if she can't always recognize that or respond in the way she used to.

You'll be in my prayers too!

Hannah said...

I am so sorry, April. I too suffered with a grandparent who suffered from Alzheimers. He was the sweetest, funniest man. He had so many friends and was always the life of the party. When Alzheimer's set in, Grandpa Joe was a completely different person. I took him dinner every Sunday and would have to clean his fridge every week of half eaten, UNcooked papa murphys pizza. I finally called them and told them to stop selling pizza to my poor grandpa. He too started getting feisty. Hitting, yelling, easily irritated. We eventually had to put him in a home after he showed up naked at church twice. (Funny, but so not funny...)

His wife died of cancer a few years before, and I really think his disease was harder on us. It was the hardest when he knew he was forgetting things...when he was half there. It was so hard on him.

I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I'm thinking of you and your family.

-a blog stalker

TOWR said...

April, I'm so sorry. You really are in my prayers; every night I pray for you and your family. I hope it's helping.

April said...

Thanks for all the kind words, dear friends (blog stalker included!). It has gradually gotten easier to deal with, and I'm so thankful for my mom. At the end of July, Mom stayed overnight at the house almost every night. We even had one lovely night where we shared my room and stayed up talking until about 3 a.m. It was really nice, actually. But I couldn't have dealt with it all without her help.

And I appreciate all the prayers, just as I pray every night for your families as well.

redlaw said...

I'm so sorry, April! I wish I could do or say something that could help. We've talked about this before and everything I said then still holds true. You and yours are in my thoughts and if you need anything, I am a phone call or email away!

Chica said...

So sorry to hear you and your family are going through this April. Alzheimers is such a cruel disease. You're in my thoughts x

April said...

Thanks, girls! I appreciate it!

jojo said...

So sad, April. Your grandparents are the cutest love birds ever. I'll never forget how sweet they were together whenever I visited you there. I'm so sorry for all you've been through this summer and fall. Just can't believe how quickly things happened...as I know you can't either. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.