Wednesday, April 09, 2008

"I put a map up on my ceiling to fight that lonely feeling."

Some of you know this by now because I've whined enough about it, but for the rest of you, here's a little bit of news. My hours at the newspaper were drastically cut, so now I'm down to fewer than 15, probably. Which means I had to pick up shifts at my old job (the one I quit because of the hours I was promised at the newspaper). Three jobs, people. Three.


I won't go into detail about the happenings at the newspaper, other than three new people have been hired and one of them gets my desk. Essentially, there's no room for me.


So today I started back at the CA library for my first shift since leaving last fall. It's a bummer, to say the least, especially since I was able to walk back and forth to work with the other jobs. Now I have to drive 8 miles.


I complain about working in a library, but there are things I enjoy about it. I like being the first to know about new books, and I really like helping people find books to read by authors other than Nicholas Sparks. Or ones that Oprah has told them to read. I enjoy researching answers to reference questions and finding that desired item from another library system.


However, there are many more things that I greatly dislike. Such as the crowd of junior high kids who converge upon the computers and shriek and scuffle and harrass each other. Or stare blankly at me when I say hello. Or the adults who stink to high heaven, either before or after using the bathroom for half an hour. The demands on my time to show them how to use Yahoo! Messenger (I refuse to do it anymore) or how to create an e-mail account. The stupid questions for which I simply have no response: "What's my e-mail password?" "Can you type this up for me?" "Why can't you just buy it on eBay for me with your credit card and I'll pay you in cash?" Because, Amish man, that's not what your librarian is for.


I'd love to find a full-time job and move someplace new, really I would. I'm not afraid of starting over or being in a place where I don't know anyone. (I secretly fantasize about it all the time.) I am afraid, however, of what will happen to my grandparents if I leave. And what would I do without Jersey in my life? What if I move to some new state and no one ever comes to visit? What if they all forget about me? What if I hate it there as much as I hate it here?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move to SLC!!!


(By the way, I totally understand. I have a love/hate relationship with life too.)

i i eee said...

It's always so hard -we think if we go somewhere new, or have a chance to start over that things will be different.

And yet, some things are different. Some things seems to stay the same.

Why do patrons at the library think you're their personal secretary? And how is this Amish man aware of eBay in the first place? He's not supposed to even use a computer, right? Let alone electricity?

Chica said...

I'm with you on the secret fantasy of moving away. I used to check out jobs in far away places all the time. I think I just want to see how I'd cope if I had to start from scratch.

Being part time is tougher than people think. Some places treat you like a second class citizen, I noticed it when I went part time at the library, suddenly I got all the crappy jobs. Good luck finding something better for you x

Kristen said...

You'll never know unless you try.

Anonymous said...

Rape, you are at the perfect place in your life to do something like this. I don't think you have a lot to lose...and if you hate it, you can always come back. You will always be able to find a job here because you're just cool like that. Listen to me: NOW is the time for adventure. It isn't nearly so easy once you settle into a job, a relationship, parenthood, etc. If you have a yearning, you are the only one who can respond to it.

N.F. said...

I think about moving all the time. In fact, I know I NEED TO.

But, then I think about Nephew #1 and Nephew #2 and what in the heck would I do without them. So, I sympathize.

I actually tried moving to Sandy in 2005 and I lasted there 7 weeks. I couldn't hang 1 bit.

April said...

I know others will think it's crazy to make decisions based on feelings for a niece/nephew, but I honestly can't imagine my life without Jersey. If I thought Amanda could get and keep a job, I'd encourage her to move with me, so I'd at least get my daily/weekly dose of The Werz.

i i eee said...

It's really hard to move away from the little ones -or to see them move away. But you grow accustomed to the fact after a while.

Amanda needs to start a Jersey blog -that way if you do move, you can't keep in touch a lot easier.

i i eee said...

Not to mention, if you move somewhere else, you might have more opportunity to find someone to have your own baby with. Just sayin'.

I love my nieces and nephews, but I still think having my own kid would be an even greater experience than being an aunt.