Friday, July 21, 2006

My life as a wet blanket.

Some minor irritations...and by minor, I mean knock it off or I'll backhand your face:

~People have been continually printing things from computers or making copies from the photocopier, then acting like it's a big hassle to pay for them. I mean, they'll specifically walk into the library to use the copy machine, and then say, "Oh, I guess I have to go get money? I don't have any money on me."

~They also like to walk in and just head for the computer. It has always been our policy (the same policy for any library with computers in the county) that you have to sign up for a computer. With as busy as it is in the summer, it's the only way we can keep track of how long people have been on and when we can get someone else on.

~No hello. No hi, how's it going? No good morning. It's simply, "I want a computer." Even when I say hello, just two feet away from them, they ignore me and demand a computer.

~There's one kid who comes in everyday to play Runescape. And everyday we have to tell him to watch his language, lower his voice, or stop arguing with whatever Runescape-playing kid is next to him. When his turn is over, he stalks out, muttering under his breath. Then an hour or so later, he's back trying to sweet-talk us. "I'd really like to apologize about my behavior earlier....can I go back on the computer?" I'm so sick of it. Even if I'm the bad guy and tell him no, someone else always undermines that authority and lets him on. How is he ever going to learn his lesson?

~On my last pay day, two guys who work for the city came by to drop off our paychecks. And he did something that took me right back to my retail days and instantly pissed me off. Instead of just setting the envelopes down or handing them to me, he flips them at me. You know, like you would a frisbee or when you're dealing cards. Why do guys always fucking do that??? I can't even tell you how many times I've been cut or jabbed from having to try and catch whatever object is being thrown. I think it's a jackass thing to do.

~There's a new kid working at one of the libraries. He's working under a different program. I think he's a little bit slow--like a learning disability, but he's capable of work and reading, all that stuff. Anyway. I think he has a crush on me. He's always standing behind me or just out of my peripheral vision, and he stares at me. I'll turn around, and there he'll be. With a little smile on his face. I'm awful, aren't I? But it irritates the hell out of me.

~My mom's boyfriend broke up with her. Again. I'm mad at him for treating her badly, but I'm irritated because I've been seen as, like, the bad guy. The first time they tried dating (and the second), he was an ass to her. So when they started dating again, I told my mom I didn't want to hear about him or see him, whatever. Not that she paid any attention. But it was always, "Oh, April. Why can't you be nice to him? Why can't see he's trying to change? Blah, blah, blah."

~One bright spot. After the article, read the first comment. I like the way she thinks.

10 comments:

i i eee said...

Oh that J. Love.

And I have to heartily agree about the EFFING FLIPPING!@@#$@%!!! I hate it when people throw stuff at me as well...unless possibly if it's candy. And it's more of a friendly toss. What a dickweed.

atsirk said...

Why is it that normal guys aren't stalkers?!! And I totally feel your pain: people suck! I think you should start randomly pulling books off the shelves and throwing them at their heads if they give you crap. I know I would, but then again, I'm not a people person!! Hang in there.....and eat chocolate or ice cream. Or both!

April said...

FINALLY. I'm glad someone else out there knows how irritating the "flipping" is.

Krista, I don't have chocolate ice cream. :( But I do have some M&M's in my trail mix!

redlaw said...

John Mayer...yummy. And Ew. If anyone ever tosses anything at me, I toss it back to them and tell them to try again - true story. When I first started working here, there were a few attorneys who did that - needless to say, they don't do it now.

April said...

Redlaw, That's stinking brilliant! Why didn't I think of that??

Carina said...

I used to hate the throwing things, and then at my current office of residence, I gave in (I know, unthinkable!) Any imaginable object may fly back and forth, so you have to learn how to pick up those e.g., foam dice and give as good as you got, or it's curtains. These days I'll catch it one handed and return fire. Can't wait until someone loses an eye.

Carina said...

oh YES and ditto on the cute/normal vs. stalker thing. Why WHY indeed?

Anonymous said...

Dude, I SO hear you on this! Our summer has been hell too. My assistant manager actually broke down in tears the other day because so many people have been treating us badly. Me I'm just getting to the point if you look at me funny I'm instantly ready to fight and that's not cool.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I SO hear you on this! Our summer at the resort has been hell too. My assistant manager actually broke down into tears the other day because so many people have been rude to us lately. Me, I'm just getting to the point that if you LOOK at me funny, I'm instantly ready to fight and that's not cool!

Anonymous said...

GRRRR Stupid computer posted that twice!