Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ya here ta eat?

Sorry for the long absence. I've been both busy and lazy. It's a lethal combo.

Kristen drove down Thursday night because we were going to the Cranberry Fest in Warrens, WI on Friday. We spent the evening shopping, of course. What else? Bath & Body Works. Mmm...

Friday my aunt Barb and her friend Fern picked us up and we were on the road a few minutes after 5 a.m., arriving around 7 a.m. It rained all morning, but we were each prepared with ponchos. Although mine was just a blue, standard one-size-fits-most, it felt like an enormous tablecloth hanging around my neck. The wind kept making it billow out. Kristen said to me, "You're turning violet, Violet!" haha

We saw many a weirdo at the Cranberry Fest. We saw one older woman turn and glare at her companion, growling, "It's pouring!" I don't know if she was blaming her for the weather or for making her come. We also saw a blast from the past...an apparent die-hard '80s fan. The woman had fried red hair with gigantic bangs, fist-sized glasses, a beige Members Only jacket, stone-washed jeans with black felt hearts running down both sides of the legs and one black felt heart on the back pocket, and silver Reeboks. We stared in awe, our mouths hanging open.
Kristen: No. This isn't happening. It can't be real.
Me: Oh, it's real. It's very, very real.
Kristen: No, I can't believe it. It has to be a joke.
Me: Look at her hair. Who would do that as a joke?

There were some very annoying Girl Scouts who shrieked at passers-by to purchase their cookies. A woman in front of us muttered, "If I buy a box, will you shut up?" haha

As we walked past a booth that specialized in dog treats, Kristen cried, "Hey! Smokey beef knuckles!" I replied, "What did you call me?"

At a booth that was selling pretty crappy jewelry, the vendor hit on me. Kristen and I were trying on rings, not really seeing anything we liked.
Vendor: So, see any rings you just can't live without?
Me: Er, not really.
Vendor: Or maybe just a ring you can live with? You can live with me!
Me: haha...ha... Wow. ha Um, I don't hear that everyday.
Vendor: *acting shocked* You don't?

Then he started asking if Kristen and I were sisters. It somehow led to him saying, "You know what they say. Women always know if the baby is theirs. The men have to have faith." We laughed politely and finally got away. As we turned the corner, I looked at Kristen and said, "Damn my good looks." :D

I did buy myself a few goodies. I bought a small wooden star with a nativity scene carved out of it. Actually, Kristen got herself one, also. And I bought some delicious cranberry salsa, jam, peanut butter fudge, and trail mix. Mmm... What's a fest without food, right? Oh, and I bought this cute little ceramic vase that's cream and mauve with Japanese writing, and you pour scented oil into it for it to slowly release out into the room. I got a pomegranite scent. Kristen bought herself some jewelry from a really nice lady. We were about to leave without having purchased anything when the woman said, "We also accept charge cards." Kristen and I both whipped around, and Kristen replied, "Reeeallly? Well, that's a horse of a different color!" And since she was selling earrings for buy 2, get 1 free, Kristen let me pick out a sexy pair of Russian jade earrings. Yoink!

There may be more, but I forget. Anyway, we got home around 4:30 p.m. or so, and we were super tired and went to bed early. On Saturday we just bummed around. We walked to Jitters, a cute coffee shop, where I had a fruit-tea smoothie and she had chai tea. Then we went shopping in Rice Lake, where I got my brother a Christmas present. One down! And Kristen pointed out that Ghost Hunters Season 2 was out on DVD, though it was broken into two parts. I was mega excited because I am a super nerd. I bought part one, and Kristen bought me part two as an early birthday present. Love, love, love!!

On Sunday we wanted to have brunch before Kristen had to return home, so I thought, let's try a restaurant in town. I thought I'd impress her with a local place on the lake. We walk in and are informed that they aren't open yet (it was about 10:40 a.m.). They didn't have any hours posted and the doors were unlocked. Hello? So I took her to another place on the lake. We walk in, stand next to the sign that reads, "Please wait to be seated," and notice with some trepidation that it's sort of sporty/bar-ish. A teenage guy comes up and says, "Uh, ya here ta eat?" Customer service at its finest. I say yes, and he says, "Uh, just sit wherever you want. I'll let you pick." Must be a tough job. We ordered water, then decided to just leave. Lame.

I don't remember much else. I know we made up another hilarious song, this time about being childless, but I'll leave that for Kristen to relay.

8 comments:

TOWR said...

Your average days sound like my most exciting days on a whirlwind vacation. **sigh**

i i eee said...

Isn't your birthday in November? I swear that's when I had it down. So I'm hoping that was a early b-day pressie, eh?

Sounds like a fun-filled weekend! Whee! And cranberry salsa sounds delish.

April said...

Let's see if Blogger allows me to leave a comment this time...

Rachel 1~ I try to wring as much hilarity out of my mundane life as I can. My sense of humor is my best (some say only) asset. :)

Rachel 2~ Yes, indeed, my birthday is in November, so the present is VERY early. And I'll be cracking open that cranberry salsa tonight during my Grey's Anatomy viewing. Mmm...salsa...and McDreamy...

Mark said...

So is MCDreamy actually the guy's name or is that just a nickname for the character?

April said...

Mark, that's his nickname. His character's name is Derek Shepherd.

Mark said...

oh good. having a character actually named "McDreamy" made the show sound a little dumb. I've never seen the show because I'm afraid it's another big network drama based at least partially around sex and who's hooking up with who. What's the draw of the show besides the actors looks?

Carina said...

The show is written incredibly well. The characters are interesting, sometimes infuriating, and yet you can't help but be to become involved in their progress. The medical stories featured on the show are often metaphors for whatever the characters are going through. The music they choose is top notch.

Yes, there is a who is hooking up with who element, but it's treated in a different way than some of the other shows I've seen (e.g. there are consequences for actions.)

p.s. A childless song? I'm interested ;)

April said...

Well said, Azucar. And check Kristen's blog for the song. Although, really, it must be heard to really be appreciated. :)