Friday, June 22, 2007

Confession Time!

Most of my readers are music snobs. Admit it. You've already bought the new White Stripes album. You've gone to see Feist in concert. You're on a first-name basis with Gwen Stefani. You liked Regina Spektor before she hit the big time. It's part of why I love you. No, I'm not getting mushy, I'm just softening you up for what's to come.

And because of you dear music snobs, my taste in music has matured into something to be reckoned with. (Er...just go with it.) Anyone who received my first mix cd that I sent to the Librarian's Revenge members must have noted the difference between it and my last mix, Heart of a Nerd. I mean, even Kristen (who I think promptly threw my first mix in the trash) called me and said, "You bitch, this mix is really good!"

Now, even though my music library isn't quite the vast empire of awesomeness like yours, *cough*Rachel*cough*, I'd like to point out that we all have our weaknesses for musicians or bands that don't quite hold up to the average music snob's standards. A dear friend who shall remain nameless (ah, you can figure it out), likes to get her groove on to Jennifer Lopez. Some of you fancy Britney Spears. Perhaps you only listen to The Smiths. I'm just saying, we all have our weaknesses. Are you nodding along? Thinking to yourself, "Why, yes, I admit that I did buy Paula Abdul's greatest hits for $1 at that garage sale." Or maybe, "Seriously, you guys totally need to check out Mandy Moore's new cd!" Okay, keep that in mind.

So, here's my confession. I'm currently crushing on American Idol Season 5 third-place finisher Elliott Yamin.




I can't help it! With his curly hair and scruffy beard, crooning to me in his awkward, white-boy fashion. It's stinking adorable! And if you haven't heard him lately because, you know, you're too cool to listen to pop radio, here's your chance. Open your heart and let Elliott in.
Watch the video of Elliott's single, Wait For You.

14 comments:

TOWR said...

I don't consider the fact that I only listen to The Smiths a weakness or something to be embarrassed about. I consider it one of my best assets!

I love The Smiths, and I'm not ashamed of it. It's not like they're Milli Vanilli.

i i eee said...

Ha! I so bought the new White Stripes yesterday! You cad!!

I have plenty of guilty pleasures, so I couldn't possibly persecute you for yours. ;)

And even though yes, yes, and yes I am a music snob -it's only because I have impeccable taste! whahahahahha

The Smiths are cult favorites, so they're definitely no shame, lovely tetue.

And April, your "Heart of a Nerd" is a fantastical mix. Your first mix wasn't bad -I had some fav songs on that mix.

April said...

Tetue, I didn't mean weaknesses as a bad thing, something you need to fix. I meant it as something you can't resist. And we all know you can't resist The Smiths. ;) And I can't resist John Mayer. *sigh*
Besides, the Smiths mix you sent me is part of the reason I have better taste in music. So no disrespect intended.

RC, I knew it! I knew you were gonna buy it! haha

I love my little music snob friends, and how you've gently taken me under your wings.

John Dent said...

I didn't buy the White Stripes' album.
That's because I was on work time.
.....
Yes, I spent 20 minutes of "errand time" browsing for music, but felt guilty at buying anything.
My guilty pleasure is Fall Out Boy.

atsirk said...

OMG! ME TOO!!! I thought I was the only one and there was NO WAY I was going to admit it!! (Thank you for letting me get to say it out loud!!)

*sigh*

April said...

John, I may have enjoyed some Fall Out Boy myself, even though I don't really know what they're saying half the time.

Atsirk, Hallelujah! My sister loves him, too!

April said...

Seriously, are you guys watching the video? Cuz he's just delicious.

mitchgib said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, April ! I am a 40'ish book nerd, and share your blogmates love of the Smiths and White Stripes, but get ready for my guilty pleasure--John Denver !
I had a crush on him back in the day, and eventhough he is dead, enjoy a good sing a long sometimes !
Do you think you'all will look back at John Mayer the way I look at John Denver ! Now I am getting too weird !
Peace

April said...

M, thanks for the comment! All book nerds are welcome here. :) And I think there's always room for both John Denver and John Mayer.

Carina said...

Seriously, the CD I sent out this year to you guys is embarassingly mainstream.

I might, might try Yamin out. Afterall, Heart of a Nerd kicks ass.

j said...

oh dear, i didn't know that john denver is a guilty pleasure. ouch. I also have a soft spot in my heart for john mayer. sooo good. truth be told though, i'm not really ashamed of liking either of those.

my true secret shame: chicago. "so if it's gotta be this way, don't worry baby I can take the news okay, but if you see me walking by, and the tears are in my eyes, look away. baby, look away."

i i eee said...

When my boyf and I combined our music libraries, I soon found a lot of Air Supply on my iPod.

Guilty pleasure indeed.

April said...

Zuc, I loved your mix! I'm hoping you'll get the urge to make another one someday! :)

Jen, I'm not ashamed of my love for John Mayer, either. Besides being an awesome musician, he's hilarious! Have you ever checked out his blog?

RC, I remember teasing Tony a lot about seeing Air Supply tapes in his music collection. Every time he'd get red-faced and yell that they were actually his mother's! haha

Marie said...

I am not ashamed to say that I love ABBA. It is life-blood to me.

I am ashamed to say that I have a weakness for some early Britney. And Wham!'s "Freedom." And Supertramp. And.....