Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I'm not together, but I'm getting there."

Life goes by fast. Ten years ago I was a sophomore in college. I was majoring in English literature, with no real plans for a career other than triumphantly exclaiming "I want to be a writer!"

I spent my spare time reading. I avoided homework. I had a mad crush on a boy I'd nicknamed Hot Boomer.

Fast forward to 2008.

I still want to be a writer, and though I do belong to a writers group, I avoid doing the work for as long as possible. I spend all my spare time reading (with the occasional Guitar Hero). And this summer I bumped into Hot Boomer (still hot), resulting in a renewed crush.

I guess that old adage is true: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, isn't it the sad, sad truth?

Oh well. I'm glad you were born. Happy birthday almost!

i i eee said...

Happy Birthday!

Your b-day present will be one day late -- or at least, you'll find out what it is one day late. Better than a few months though, huh?

See, I'm changing!

redlaw said...

happy birthday!!!

it's true that some things don't change but if they did, we'd have nothing to look forward to...

maybe that doesn't make sense - i'm still pretty hepped up on nyquil here.

i think you're wonderful!

Marie said...

They say it's your birthday...so happy birthday, and may you get the boy this time around!

April said...

You know, I'm not too sad that some things are the same. I am, after all, pretty awesome. Er...

Anyway, thanks for happy birthdays ladies!