Thursday, August 02, 2007

Heartbreak in Minneapolis

A 40-year-old bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minn., during Wednesday evening rush hour.



What's being called the worst U.S. bridge collapse in more than 20 years has left us with four confirmed fatalities, a number that is sure to rise.



More than 50 vehicles fell 65 feet into the river or onto the debris on Interstate 35W. Some vehicles are still trapped beneath the concrete.



Hospital officials said that 79 people were injured. Around 30 more have been reported as missing. Search and rescue has become recovery.



Our hearts and prayers are with you, Minneapolis.

5 comments:

atsirk said...

I was so scared that Lora would have been near the area, but luckily she is safe, and so are all her friends.

It's so horrible that all I keep doing is pray.......

April said...

I know! I had to call Jolene to make sure she was okay, too! She's just fine, and so are her family members.

Marie said...

The thing that scares me more than a high death toll is finding dead people who clearly didn't die quickly. So horrific. I don't want to think about that anymore.

i i eee said...

I had no idea that Jolene was in that area!! I'm glad she and family are safe.

Such a horrible tragedy.

Lippy said...

It's just absolutely mind-boggling that this could happen, and that it DID happen. We as a country need to figure out a better way to protect our own.