Thursday, November 08, 2007

When libraries attack

Worst. Week. Ever.

Saturday, after kicking out the stragglers at closing time, I locked up the library building and shut off the lights. Then, before leaving, I decided to go to the bathroom, where I was promptly stuck due to a broken lock.

So there I was, alone in a small bathroom, in an empty, locked building, and no one knowing that I needed help.

Luckily, I keep my purse in the bathroom, so I did have access to my cell phone. However, cell phones are virtually useless if you have no service and/or your battery is about to die. I kept trying to call home, but the phone continued to disconnect.

Now, I'm about the least emotional girl you're likely to meet. And I am not one for hysterics (it's just too uncivilized). But I had my first full-blown, Level 10 panic attack. Complete with hyperventilation. And tears. Dudes, I don't do tears.

Finally, I got my message through to Gramps, who promised to get help. An hour and 45 minutes later, my grandparents, a cop, a street department employee, and a locksmith had made their way through the building entrance. I had calmed myself down plenty by then. But did they ask if I was okay? No. They stood outside the door laughing. Someone rattled the doorknob and asked if I was in there. Because I could have disappeared somehow.

I heard someone ask, "How old is she? And she's the librarian?" As if I was an idiot who couldn't figure out how to unlock the door. They didn't get it through their stupid male brains that the lock was jammed, broken.

We took the doorknobs off, after the first brilliant idea to poke a pin through the hole in the doorknob to pop the lock. (Still operating under the pretense that I didn't know how to unlock a door.) The locksmith couldn't unjam the lock, so he slipped a flat crowbar through the knob opening, and I pried on the doorjamb while he applied pressure on the outside of the door. The door finally swung open.

Then the cop said, "Sometimes a credit card will just pop those locks open. Did you think to try that?" Because surely a credit card would work better than a crowbar. Then the street dept. guy said, "Well, that'll teach you a lesson to always carry your cell phone." And continued with a story about a 6-year-old girl who shut the light off in the bathroom before unlocking the door, and how she was stuck for about half an hour before they could calm her down to find the light switch. Because that really relates to me being stuck in an empty building with a door lock that's freaking jammed!

Mother of my father, I was ticked off!

And on Monday I was diagnosed with strep throat. It was horrible. I stayed home all week until today.

Yesterday my boss at the same library called me. "Um, April? I'm locked in the bathroom." Yes, the door had struck again. I was going to bring tools to help her get out, but then she called information and had the locksmith come over. But the weird thing is, just her mentioning being locked in the bathroom caused my hands to start shaking and my legs to tremble for about 30 minutes afterwards.

Also, poor little Jersey had a dentist appointment yesterday to get caps on two teeth that were chipped. When she woke up, she was hysterically crying because she didn't understand why she couldn't stand on her own and why her mouth was numb. She kept screaming, "My bones aren't alive anymore!" :( Poor pumpkin.

6 comments:

i i eee said...

This post hurts my heart. Really.

Those #$%^#$%! How would they liked to be locked in a bathroom all night? Grrr...

Poor Jersey. :(

Chica said...

"Because surely a credit card would work better than a crowbar." God I hope you said that out loud!!

Poor pumpkin indeed, but I love how Jersey's brain works, she's so witty.

Hope you feel better soon xx

Marie said...

Oh my word -- I've lived this!! I was staying at my aunt's house and when I went to unlock her bathroom door, it wouldn't unlock. I tried everything I could think of, then hollered for help. They then proceeded to inform me how to unlock a door, thinking that I was simply dim. I explained, as calmly as I could, that it was really stuck. As I recall, at some point, the doorknob on my side came off. Turns out that the doorknob, which had been on that door since they bought the house over 30 years before, decided to break when I was in the bathroom -- and I only visit one day a year!

Do you think the Forces of Darkness have special powers over bathroom doorknobs?

And I"m sorry about your boss, but it must have been kind of nice to be vindicated on the door thing. The Door Is Evil, people.

I"m really sorry about the strep -- that is one awful sickness. When I'd ask God to make me sick so I could stay home from school, I'd always add, "but not strep, please."

April said...

i i e ee, Do you know how many people in the meantime who've told me what they would have done? "I would've kicked down the door." Uh, the door opens in, not out. "I would've taken the hinges off." Yeah, bare handed, right.

Chica, I think I mumbled, "I don't have a credit card." Because mainly I wanted to get out of the bathroom, and he was blocking the door.

Marie, Your childhood prayer made me laugh out loud!! So very true.

TOWR said...

Oh, that's awful! But at least you did have your phone with you, and better to be locked in a bathroom for hours on end than, say, a broom closet. What if you had to go to the bathroom and you finally had to drop trou and go in the broom closet? But still, ugh. And eff them for not being more sympathetic!

It drives me crazy when people ask me if I didn't think to do the easiest solution. Retards.

Poor Jersey. :( But I love the words kids come up with to describe their condition. My brother used to scream "Don't cut my wood!" when he had to get his fingernails trimmed. Ha!

April said...

"Don't cut my wood!" Bah! Hilarious!