Monday, February 11, 2008

"Pills enough to make me feel ill, cash enough to make me well."

My mom had a hysterectomy last Thursday. It was a pretty stressful day, what with me making three trips to and from the hospital for various reasons beyond my control (that's approximately 96 miles total).

AND some random woman in the restroom decided she just had to lecture me about the bottled water I had with me.

AND my mother wasn't taken into surgery until about two hours after they'd originally planned, and no one came to tell me when I was all panicky, staring at the clock and worrying about the time.

AND while she was in the recovery room I decided to go to the DMV to check the status on my driver's license, which, (long story short) expired two years ago. I KNOW! Don't even comment. Just. Don't. And when I demanded an answer about why my license continually showed up as "valid" on the DMV Web site, the guy just mumbled an "I don't know" through his mammoth mustache.

In other news, my former professor finally gave the official okay to be his book typesetter. AND he upped his paying price! Woot! I also gave up fried foods and pop (soda, to the rest of the country) for Lent. I'm doing really well, too! While I do crave my Diet Pepsi sometimes, I make do with water. I prefer the flavored water because it tricks my mind into thinking I'm having something delish instead of something nutrish.

What did you give up for Lent? Or, for you sexy noncomformists out there, which new year's resolutions are you still working on?

6 comments:

i i eee said...

Sorry about the hospital experience. From the sound of it, I imagine the surgery was a success, but being in a hospital altogether is stressful.

Good for you with your Lent goals! Are they called goals? Sacrifices? Hmm....

That's so AWESOME about the typesetting thing. Me so jealous.

Anonymous said...

I hope your mom is feeling well!

petullant said...

1. I'm sorry about your mom and I hope she's doing well.

2. And ugh about the stress, all that driving (that's a lot!), and the bathroom lecture lady. I hope it was right after you washed your hands and you flicked soapy water on her. (That's about as mean as I get.)

3. I call it pop too!

4. Spending! I'm trying to cut down credit card purchases. I pay my balance off each month but I still want to cut it way back.

Anonymous said...

My condolences about your mother's hospital woes. A bane of aging is witnessing your parents in decline. Hopefully you unburdened some of your stress on the bottled water bitch.

Did Tony finally finish his manuscript about the mad madame who refuses to leave the liner docked for Winter? The scarification Northern Gothic? Or is this a new collection?

-Swan-

April said...

My mom seems to be doing better, all. Thanks for the concern. Although I guess her throat is pretty sore from all the vomiting.

AND my sister now has bronchitis. Ay yi yi.

Petullant, I TOTALLY should have flicked soapy water at her! hahaha That would have been awesome. I contemplated throwing my head back, and vocally asking God why people choose to lecture me while I was in the middle of praying for my mother's surgery.

Swan, The typesetting for Tony is a re-release of his first book of stories, but extended. However, he is releasing a new book in May. I'm not sure what it's about. I anticipate another compilation of short stories. (Northern Gothic is quite appropriate for his stories, though!)

redlaw said...

i gave up fries for lent...but that's the nice thing about not being catholic - if i slip, i don't quite go to hell...