Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Wonder Boy, what is the secret of your power?"

Rachel from work and I went to see "Batman: The Dark Knight" at the drive-in Friday night. It was pretty excellent; we were both pleased with it. There were several cringe-inducing moments that Heath Ledger's Joker gave us. And stupid freaking Matt Lauer gave a crucial plotpoint Thursday morning on the "Today Show," so I unfortunately already knew one thing. Ugh. Stupid bastard. Other than that, two thumbs up for the movie.

My mom got a new puppy at the house. He's a mix of Boston terrier, a Shih Tzu, and a chihuahua. His name is Brauny, named after my mom's favorite Milwaukee Brewer.


He's adorable and tiny and bite-y.


Mom made dessert the other day. As she was pulling the pan out of the oven, Jersey came up to her.
Jersey: What kinda cake is this, Gram?
Gram: These are lemon bars. Do you like lemon bars?
Jersey: Oh, yes. I love lemon bars! Except I haven't had them since military camp.

Jersey and her mom walking outside:
Jersey: Mom, what are those cracks in the sidewalk called?
Amanda: I don't know, Jerz. They're just cracks.
Jersey: No, according to my science book, the cracks in the sidewalk are made of needles. And needles are very dangerous.

I recently purchased a print from the LauraGeorge Etsy site, titled "Four Bookish."

I just picked it up from the frame shop yesterday and hung it over my bookcase.

Here's the other wall with my Gorjuss print, along with Jersey's handprints, a framed robot card from Kristen, and my fave photo from when Jersey was in the cutest baby contest:



I finished writing my second story for my writers group. I haven't had their reactions yet, but we meet Monday evening. Amanda, Mom and John loved it, though. After Mom quit crying, she croaked "Mediocre." ha!
My fave professor from my alma mater will be conducting a reading from his newest book at my library Wednesday night. I volunteered to make cookies. (Not just any cookies. They're chocolate mint cookies, and they're delish!)
My only other exciting news is that I joined Facebook. I know, quite the fascinating life I lead, isn't it?

9 comments:

redlaw said...

i just friended you on facebook...because my life is THAT exciting. but i am thrilled to have you on the book of faces!!!

April said...

Yay!! It cracks me up that the message when you try to add someone on there is "So&So will have to confirm that you are friends." It sounds so snotty and pretentious. I will indeed confirm we are friends!

N.F. said...

I love the lava lamp!




(I'm a facebook addict. Seriously... I have NO life and spend way too much bloody time on there. My wish is that I could find people from high school...but in my entire graduating class there are like 5 of us. And, I didn't talk to most of them anyway. I was kind of a b-word in school, I'm pretty sure.) ;)

Rachie said...

Haha! Jersey's such a card. I love her.

CUTE PUPPY!!!!! I want to take him home. Except you can keep the biting.

April said...

Ahh Facebook. Let's start a group there called "Aprils of the World Unite!!"

Chica said...

Aww, cute little bite-y boy! I love him.

Hurrah for Facebook, it gets me through my working day! xx

April said...

N.F., Apparently I've gotten Krista addicted to Facebook now, too. ha! I'm an evil genius! Or maybe just a pusher? Hmm. That's less sexy.

Other April: As long as it's not called "April Showers Bring May Flowers" or something equally lame and cutesy, I'm game!

Chica, I was tempted to ask you Alfie's real name so I could be mean to him, but it's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, hm?

Marie said...

Who knew that a Boston terrier chihuahua mix could be cute??

How often does your writing group meet? Did they cry too?

I don't suppose you'd share your chocolate mint cookie recipe? I've been craving chocolate mint stuff. That bit o' mint refrigerates the overheated summer tongue, y'know.

April said...

Marie, We meet every other Monday. My group mostly liked the ending, but I guess they collectively wanted it to be more sinister. So I have some rewrites before going on to the next story, which I'm thinking will be much less serious and more funny.

Also, I'll try to remember to grab my recipe card on my way to work tomorrow to send along the cookie recipe. :)