Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cuckoo-Cuckoo!

I swear by everything that's holy, I'm surrounded by idiots like this every day of my life. (from my new favorite Web site, notalwaysright.com)

Surprisingly, This One Knows How To Read
Library USA

Library Patron: “Do you guys have books?”

Me: (I turn and give a side glance to the shelves of books on my right) “Nope. It’s all online.”

***

Accidental Lemonade From Lemons
Public Library Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Me: “Hi, can I help with anything?”

Customer: “Yes, I’m looking for a good book.”

Me: “Do you have any specific genre or subject in mind?”

Customer: “Yes, a good one… one that I’ll like.”

Me: “Um, you’ll have to be a bit more specific. I don’t really know what you like. Science fiction, thriller, fantasy, horror, that sort of thing?”

Customer: “Well, don’t you know any good books?”

Me: “I haven’t actually read them all, but–”

Customer: “You haven’t? What kind of librarian are you? Isn’t there anyone here who can help me?”

Me: “This one–” *holding up a book* “–is pretty popular at the mo–”

Customer: “How do you know I’ll like it?! You can’t know that. I want a book that I’ll like.”

(I get frustrated and just grab a random book that was recently turned in.)

Me: “Here, you’ll love this one!”

(Unfortunately, she did like it, and told my boss to thank me for my great suggestion. Darn.)

***

Don't forget I've blogged about my fair share of the wackos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss working at the library, so much fodder!

John said...

Strange, strange people.