Thursday, October 20, 2005

Word Nerd

For lack of any fun stories or exciting news, I thought I'd write my "To Read" list. I'm always looking for a few good books. I've requested a couple of them already, but I'd welcome any suggestions.

* My Sister From the Black Lagoon, by Laurie Fox
* Boy Still Missing, by John Searles
* The Known World, by Edward P. Jones
* Will They Ever Trust Us Again, by Michael Moore
* The Drowning Tree, by Carol Goodman
* A Separate Peace, by John Knowles
* The Crimes and Punishments of Miss Payne, by Barry Jansberg
* Shoot the Moon, by Billie Letts
* The Ice Queen, by Alice Hoffman (LOVE her books!!)
* Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro

Yesterday at the CH library, I was trying to suggest some books for a patron to read. She said she only reads mysteries, and they can't be spooky or gory. Also, they couldn't take place in England. "What?" I asked. "Why not?" She goes, "Because they're all like, 'Oh, you know, uh, I'm English. Oh, looky. I'm in England.'" I was startled into laughter. It was so ridiculously funny. Then as I was suggesting Haunted Ground, by Erin Hart, she worried that it was spooky. I assured her it wasn't. "It takes place in Scotland, I think," I said. "Or maybe it's Ireland." "Well," she said. "That rules that one out." It's an excellent book! What the heck is the problem? Because someone may be named Cormac or Ringo* instead of John or Billy? Give me a break.
*I've never actually read a book with a character named Ringo. I just couldn't think of anything English-y.

5 comments:

i i eee said...

Sounds like a good list. I love a Separate Peace. That is such a great book.

Does it hurt a girl to read one more book with a English bloke in it named Ringo?

April said...

Well, if reading a book with a character named Ringo is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Miss Laura said...

Sarah Cauldwell writes the most delightful mysteries. Yes, she's english, but your patron can SUCK IT.

April said...

I concur, Ms. Llew. I concur.

Cloudhurler said...

The Course Of The Heart -- M. John Harrison