Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Movie theater audience, I wish I knew how to quit you.

I watched Brokeback Mountain with my Aunt Barb and her friend Louann. It was an excellent film, and I'd like to see it again. I recently read the short story that the movie is based on, and it follows it pretty closely. There were only a few things that bothered me. Ahem.

~When I went back to the concession stand to get my aunt some Milk Duds, the girl working there started talking to me about the movie.
Girl: My friend went to see it and she said the sex scenes were really rough.
Me: Er...okay...
Girl: But I had to go in yesterday while I was working because someone complained about the screen being blurry, and it really wasn't that bad. You don't actually see anything.
Me: Um, okay then. That's good. ha ha.
Girl: And, like, if you have an open mind about gay stuff, you'll really love this movie.
Me: Well, okay. *backing away* I read the story, so I know what it's about.
(Before I can leave, another worker comes up.)
Girl 2: I loved Brokeback Mountain! It made me cry. *she fake sniffles*
Me: Well, I know what it's about, so I'll just...go watch it, then...
Girl 2: I mean, it was really sad and...
Me: Okay, like I said. I know what it's about. Thanks. *walk quickly away with the Milk Duds*

~Anne Hathaway showed her breasts. I own The Princess Diaries, for crying out loud. Shocking, indeed. I guess she won't be making any more Disney movies.

~My aunt and her friend giggled through several love scenes. But they bought me lunch and popcorn, so I can't really complain. :)

~I was disturbed by the large number of elderly people in attendance. As if watching gay love scenes wasn't awkward enough.

~Directly behind me, and I do mean directly, sat my grandfather's sister. Yes, my great-aunt Olive was not only watching Brokeback Mountain, but she sat behind me. Out of all the seats in the theater! And for the last 15 minutes of the movie, she constantly coughed, so I could barely hear what was going on. *sigh*

But I would definitely watch the movie again. It was very well done. I don't want to say anymore in case some of you may go to see it. If only I had a private viewing room so I wouldn't have to deal with other people.

10 comments:

redlaw said...

I reckon I may have to see it one of these days. But really, do you think I could go see it with the concession girls you chatted with? They seem like such quiet girls - and I'm sure they'd never ruin the movie for me...er....

April said...

Make sure they bring the popcorn and milk duds.

N.F. said...

Funny you mention the *sex* scenes...my brother's friend saw it and said it was great, EXCEPT for those scenes. He could hardly get through it....

TOWR said...

I would definitely be shifting uncomfortably in my seat. I imagine it to be much like the sex scenes in Cold Mountain where I clawed the chair arms until my fingernails bled (untrue story). Except that it would be boys. And I couldn't lust after Jude Law.

i i eee said...

Having also read the short story it's based on, I could go either way. It would be nteresting to see, but I do already know the story. And quite frankly, I'd do anything to not see Anne Hathaway's boobies. ERgh. Talk about innocence lost. Just thinking about it makes my brain even less virginesque than it already is....

Maybe I'll wait for Brokeback Mountain to come out at Clean Flicks -where I can find the Mormon edited version -ha ha ha ha! Can you imagine?

Anonymous said...

I hate putting up with other people's crap in the movie theatre. I think I'm going to drag Allen to see it this weekend if it's still in RL.
(N)

April said...

The sex scenes were quite bearable. I mean, yeah, it was a little uncomfortable, but that's just because I'm not gay. It really was done very artfully. And it's only a brief flashing of boobies. The story does not concentrate on any of the sex scenes. If you're at all interested in seeing the movie, but are holding off because of what you've heard, you're missing out. Just try not to sit next to your great-aunt.

Oh, and Nic, the theater that movie is playing in is tiny. They obviously didn't expect any rednecks around here to go watch it.

John said...

My friend Linzi works at the cinema. She's fab.

atsirk said...

My brother would beg to differ with you on this movie. It's probably easier for females to watch than males. He says he's never going to watch a movie that has those two actors in it ever again.

April said...

Krista, that sounds like my brother. He won't watch any movies with Joaquin Phoenix in it because of his role in "Gladiator." So stupid. Hey, if someone wanted to pay me millions of dollars to act like I was gay in an Oscar-nominated role, I'd do it, too. But I wouldn't get nekkid.