Monday, February 27, 2006

Mother Nature is a bitch.

Kristen and I did not get to see Andrew Bird in concert. From the time we woke up Friday morning until long after we went to bed that night, it snowed and snowed and snowed.

The one day either of us wanted to go into town (she lives way out in the country), we couldn't because of a freak snow storm. Her dad's work was closed at mid-day, and apparently it never closes for any reason. The roads were really bad and visibility was about one-car length in front of you. There was a 3-car pile-up on the Wisconsin side of the bridge going into Duluth, and another one on the Minnesota side. And since Duluth is a city on a gigantic hill, we decided not to risk driving in that weather.

Saturday dawned sunny, with clear blue skies. Mother Nature is a bitch.

There were some other humorous stories to share, though. Kristen and I decided to split them so we could each tell a couple.

For example, driving into town on Saturday, we noticed someone walking along the road, heading in our direction. The person seemed to be waving. Slowly we began to notice a little old lady swinging a long stick or cane towards the traffic and a little dog running along in front of her. We thought perhaps she needed help. Maybe a car broke down or something. We slowed down considerably. She didn't even glance at us. Nope, she just continued hobbling along, wildly waving her stick at oncoming traffic.

We rented a couple of movies to watch Saturday evening, also. In Her Shoes and Elizabethtown. The first movie was excellent. I liked it a lot, and I'd read the book several years ago. They stayed pretty true to the book. But Elizabethtown. Ugh. So stinking strange. It was just weirdly bizarre. It's not like it you couldn't understand it, but you couldn't stop saying "Why? What is the purpose of this movie?" And then I jokingly told Kristen that it was probably about Scientology and we just didn't realize it. She laughed.
ME: Watch, at the end of the movie when the credits come up, it'll probably say, "Produced by Tom Cruise."
(We laugh.)
KRISTEN: *reaches over to look at the movie case* Now I gotta see who did produce it.
(pause) (She shrieks.)
ME: What?
KRISTEN: It is produced by Tom Cruise!
ME: Yeah, right.
KRISTEN: I'm serious!
ME: Yeah, right.
(she hands over the case. I look at it.)
ME: (reading) "Produced by Tom Cruise." No freaking way!!!
KRISTEN: That was creepy. How did you do that?
ME: I don't know, but now I feel dirty.

Then we discussed how dumb the movie was, despite having sexpot Orlando Bloom in a starring role. Nothing was ever explained about why things were they way they were in the movie. It was very disappointing. But we were like, "For a crappy movie, it sure had some awesome music in it." Then we noticed the movie was written and directed by Cameron Crowe. That explains the excellent music, but what the crap was he thinking writing such...crap?

We also went to Toys R Us, which was going out of business and had its remaining stock at 80% off. I don't know why the store was even still open, there was absolutely nothing left to even pick over. Just a bunch of gameboy gear (no gameboys) and Fantastic Four's The Thing costumes. I found one actual toy (besides a bin full of plush toy gift card holders that were kinda crappy). A 2-foot velvety Winnie the Pooh doll, regularly $30. I bought it for Jersey for only $6. Pretty sweet, huh?

At the Dollar Store, Kristen accused a teenage couple of searching for condoms.

When Kristen made me accompany her into Wal-Mart, I literally threw up in my mouth a little just before entering.

And when I got home Sunday night, it was like walking onto the set of While You Were Out. While I was away for the weekend, my grandpa laid down new linoleum flooring in the kitchen. It looks amazing. And he installed a new set of state-of-the-art washer and dryer. They look futuristic and I'm afraid I'll break them. But they're so freaking cool looking!

6 comments:

redlaw said...

Seriously, I'm so bummed about the concert that didn't come to be....

But I laughed at the old lady swinging her cane at traffic - I think I've seen her here in SLC....

atsirk said...

*sigh* Old lady with a stick. Can I be so lucky when I'm old and wrinkly??

Anonymous said...

Okay, seriously had to stop reading for a minute and laugh at the mental image I had of the old lady waving her stick! lmao

oh and Mother Nature IS a bitch!

April said...

Dawn, did you get stuck in that weird weather, too? I don't think you're super far from Duluth, are you?

Anonymous said...

No, I'm not super far from Duluth (only an hour and 45 minutes or so) but I'm happy to say that all that nasty stuff missed us.

Anonymous said...

April....Your physchic abilities are amazing...I am truly in awe!!