Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"A double kick drum by the river in the summer."

Wilco was, yet again, awesome as awesome can be. This time in freezing weather. The concert was held outdoors, right on Lake Superior. The fog rolled in, the mist misted us, and the wind was frightfully cold.



But we were ready to rock, regardless of the weather. Nay, in defiance of the weather! We huddled in our camp chairs, sipping on hot chocolate, awaiting the deliciousness that is Wilco. But first up was a Duluth band, Low. In honor of a fellow blogger who happens to be a big fan of Low, I took a couple pics for her.



Before I get to Wilco, I'd like to mention here that fellow concert-goers are rampant a-holes. They don't care if they are 2 feet taller than you, they will inevitablely stand directly in front of you, bobbing their hoodie-covered head so that you can never get a clear view of the stage. They don't care if there is only room enough between you and another person to comfortably take a deep breath, they will push right through, most likely spilling beer all over your coat, not bothering to apologize. And there will be lots and lots of smoke, a stinky combination of cigarettes, cigars, and, you guessed it, weed.

Also, if I were to write a letter to some of these concert-goers, it would probably go like this:
Dear Dudes,
Quit looking like a lady.
Love, April
(seriously, what is with guys wearing skinny jeans???)

Anyway. Wilco took the stage. As you may recall from my last post, I requested three songs: Either Way, Via Chicago, and Heavy Metal Drummer. I was very pleased that their first song was, indeed, Either Way.



Sadly, there was no Via Chicago. I did, however, get some terrible dancer's elbow slammed down onto my shoulder. That's something.

And during the encore performance, Wilco brought Low back out to play a song with them. I thought that was pretty cool of them.



Kristen and I were having a pretty rocking time.


Then, during the second encore, Wilco's penultimate song was what I had been waiting ever so impatiently for: Heavy Metal Drummer. If you still haven't listened to it, what the heck are you waiting for? Also, if you ever get the opportunity to see Wilco live, do not hesitate. They are so fun and lively and entertaining. You will not be disappointed, even if you're surrounded by girly-boys in dreadlocks and get beer spilled on you by slutty girls. Seriously. They're that good.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

yes, wilco rocked. Um, except that Low is from Duluth, not Minneapolis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_(band)

Other than that, very accurate entry - including dudes who look like ladies. and a few ladies who looked like dudes, but not us of course.

i i eee said...

Uh, dude! You should have told me when I was chatting with you earlier that the whole Wilco thing -you were just at it! I forgot that it was tonight!!!

Who is Kristen with in the first picture, hmmm?

And I realize now that the pics you sent me earlier were from your blog. I think I get it now. :)

i i eee said...

By the way, you guys are looking so cute. I want to eat you. But uhhh...not in the lesbian kind of eat you way...uhhhhh, I mean in the cuddly um friend eat you kind of way....uhhhhhhh.

Oh never mind. I wish I could have rocked out with you two.

Kristen said...

That's me da with with me. He rocked out with us too...alone, by himself, in the old people corner. ha ha ha.

I wish you could have rocked out with us too!

Marie said...

Hey -- I'm sold! I confess I'm only familiar with YHF, but I really liked it, so that's a start. Which one should I try next?

Thanks for the great shots of Low, too! I saw them here in SLC a few years back, but I didn't have a camera then. They claim to love those Minnesota winters, so I guess I shouldn't feel sorry for them up there getting all wind-scourged. I hope they did some of their livelier pieces -- most Low couldn't really be called "warm up" music. More likely to send the audience into naptime.

I think a really good live show is getting rarer and rarer, especially with the big-name bands. It's so exciting when a band really delivers on your $60 investment :) I dare you to bring a pogo stick next time.

April said...

Kristen, I remember now that Jeff Tweedy saying that Low was from Duluth, but someone else had said Minneapolis. I guess I confused myself. I'll correct it!

RC, Thanks for implying we're edible, in a friendly sort of way. :)

Maria, I wouldn't call Low's set lively, by any means at all. haha At one point Kristen and I mimed falling asleep. Not that they weren't great songs, but we came for the rockin'!

i i eee said...

Kristen -that's sweet that your dad came along! He must have excellent taste in music.

Although I admit, I was hoping he was a non-related man-friend. :)

April said...

He's a non-related man-friend to me. :) hahaha

Anonymous said...

*groans*

Oh, April!

Lippy said...

In among those great pictures (wow!) were some really funny, but accurate, observations. Guys really need to start getting back to being guys, huh? LOL, skinny jeans.