Saturday, January 12, 2008

Birthday dreams and soapbox wishes

I gave Amanda her presents yesterday: Bath & Body Works miscellanea, a huge case of makeup, and a private performance of "Slow Ride" and "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." Shut it. I'm a beginner.

Then I gave her a makeover with her new makeup. And if I had remembered my USB cord, I could've posted a pic. Ah, well. She looked cute.

We had dinner at Culver's, where I avoided looking at the boy who had taken over my proofreading job after I quit at my former newspaper. (Also, I saw an ad for a proofreader at that same newspaper yesterday. So either he left or Sharon did, but I just saw her over Christmas and she didn't mention anything. Hmm... Mystery.) I ordered a cheddar burger, which was ginormous and undercooked. Grosssssss. Amanda had a tasty chicken salad sandwich. Stupid cheddar burger.

Of course, once we got to the theater, the movie we'd wanted to see, Enchanted, wasn't playing. Instead, we saw I Am Legend, and it was excellent! It was sad and suspenseful and scary. Once the credits were rolling, I showed my sister the napkin that I'd wrung into a tight roll during all the creepy parts. In turn, she opened her hand to show me the wadded up napkin she'd balled up during the scary parts, too! ha! We're such dorks. (Sidenote: Meow, Will Smith. Meow.)

We went shopping afterward, and I purchased Singstar. So when I'm finished with work today, Amanda's going to come over so we can do some lame karaoke of '80s songs. It'll be awesome!

Here are some unawesome things I've noticed lately that have annoyed me greatly:

~ People's disgusting body noises and odors. Just because I work in a public setting doesn't mean that I should have to be subjected to people's unwashed bodies. Yesterday at the library, this disgusting old man who is always there looking up chicks on Match.com, farted FIVE times. Loud, long, juicy ones that were inescapable and highly noticeable. Never apologized, never even acknowledged that it happened. Finally, my boss had to go over and ask him if he needed to use the bathroom. This is just inexcusable. Who the hell does things like this?? I'm still just so appalled and repulsed.

~ Swearing in public. Blah, blah, blah, freedom of speech, whatever. Have people forgotten how to carry on basic conversation without dropping the F-bomb? When did this happen, that people think it's no big deal to use obscenities and sex talk in front of children, the elderly, and just generally in a public setting? I don't understand. I mean, sure I swear, but I have an awareness of whose company I'm keeping. For the love of Pete, people! Let children maintain their innocence as long as possible! You bastards.

~ Maybe this is just a little petty, but this also ticks me off: since Kmart's One Hour Photo closed down, our local Wal-Mart's One Hour Photo price jumped from $6.99 for double prints to $9.99. That is outrageous, and this girl will not submit to strong-arming.

~ And finally, I'm so sick to death of the sense of entitlement that people seem to have these days. They think that whatever they want, they can have, regardless of any rules or policies that are in effect. And the lying!! Ugh. The lying to get what they want or to achieve what they want. "Why do I have a late fee? I dropped those movies off last night in the book drop. I'm not paying that fine." Uh, yes, you are. I watched you drop them in this morning after we'd already opened for the day, so you were a day late. (Plus, the neon pink sticker on the front of the movie clearly states "Do not put in book drop." You should be charged extra for not complying with that rule.) Don't freaking lie to me. I don't get it. Why is there so much lying? No wonder people have trust issues; no one can tell the truth.

9 comments:

i i eee said...

I think a lot of people also lie because we keep bending the rules for them. It's obvious that they're lying, but if they put up a fit of some sort, we give in.

My job is nothing but people calling in, and giving me false excuses all the time. The worst is, there was this one customer I was trying to help out, and I was already giving her a discount -and when she realized I was willing to do that, she started to try and find another way to get me to give in and give her another favor. Ugh!

Okay, your boss is too nice. I would have finally just called out to the guy and said, "HEY! NO FARTING!" Well not really, but it would have been satisfying. Or, next time -print out a little sign, and if he's being disgusting like that, walk right up to his computer and tape it onto his screen. Oh wouldn't that be awesome?

Carina said...

People are just bastard covered bastards with bastard filling.


(So says Dr. Cox and I, for one, believe him.)

April said...

iieee, Very, very, very true. That's why I keep trying to enforce policies at work, but certain others keep bending the rules. I don't mean like allowing a ten-cent fine to slide because a blind girl was a day late returning a book. I'm talking about an adult returning four items 17 days overdue and us saying, "Oh, that's some sob story about your aunt in the hospital. I'll just reduce that fine to half. Oh, your dog died, too? Well, I'll just eliminate the fine completely, our little secret." It just completely ticks me off.

April said...

P.S. Bastard filling. Love it.

i i eee said...

By the way, I Am Legend is all sorts of awesome. I didn't wring any paper products, but I screamed around five times. (I think I already told you that.) Nearly gave my dad and my brother heart attacks...as well as all of my other fellow moviegoers. I can't help it.

TOWR said...

I have Singstar 80s. It's pretty friggin' sweet I do so love the karaoke, although right now I've been on a Super Mario kick. I feel like a lazy teenage boy.

April said...

Towr, *sings* "Aaaand you smell like one, too." Sorry. I'm so immature.

iieee, I didn't scream, but I certainly jumped enough times. I'm a total jumper at scary movies.

Marie said...

Too bad about Enchanted (excellent movie!) but I've heard great things about I Am Legend, too. Thanks for the review, complete with purring :)

I'm impressed that your boss was so bold -- what did the guy say when she asked him?

I agree with what you say about swearing -- especially since so much hard profanity is just a cover for not having anything intelligent or powerful to say. It's like putting five exclamation points after everything you say to make it look important. Yick.

But I have always loved the word bastard. I was so upset when my little friends informed me it was a swear word.

April said...

Bastard isn't a swear word! It's a legitimate word in the English language! I'll defend it to the death! (Uh, what were you saying about exclamation marks?)

His response was that he didn't know he was being loud. Ugh. He so disgusts me.