Sunday, October 30, 2005

The humiliation continues...

Kristen and I normally have fun when we visit each other's homes. Oh, sure, there's the occasional argument over who won Connect Four, or who's right about so-and-so starring in such-and-such movie. Generally mundane interruptions in the funness. Until Saturday night.

Friday evening Kristen arrived while I was still working in the library. She brought in my (early) birthday presents. I received an assortment of pink-themed goodies, including a sweet book bag that Kristen had bought and decorated herself. It says "Word Nerd" on it with a fancy border. It's tied for first place with one other present...the blue and black crossbones Airwalk shoes I'd desperately wanted and couldn't find!! Woohoo! We then ate Chinese at Mandarin restaurant in Rice Lake. Pretty tasty stuff. Except I saw Cara's ex-boyfriend and I wanted to puke. But then we rented some scary movies (to be watched Sat. evening), and then went home. We had ice cream. And I watched my very first episode of The Gilmore Girls.

Saturday we were up bright and early to attend a craft fair taking place at my old high school. We didn't buy anything, and the high school had been remodeled, so it looked absolutely nothing like my memories. Kristen was also insulted by a vendor. But I'll let her tell that story on her own blog.

Next we drove down to Eau Claire to meet Jolene at our favorite place, The Olive Garden. I had the chicken alfredo, in case you're interested. After lunch, we drove over to Oakwood Mall and roamed around. The girls each bought a chocolate fondu set. Jolene went home, and Kristen and I roamed around Borders, wanting to buy books but lacking the money.

So then we went to my mom's house to watch the scary movies we'd rented. Mom was going to make tacos and desserts. But Amanda had already taken off with friends of hers, saying she'd be back soon. She never did show up, until apparently Sunday morning. Well, Mom, Kristen, and I started watching the scary movies and eating our treats. After the second movie, my brother and his girlfriend, Nikki, started arguing upstairs. They were screaming at each other. Nikki took off out of the house to go somewhere else. Aaron followed her, and they stood screaming at each other on the street. Surprised no one called the cops. Then Nikki came barging back in the house to tell Mom that Aaron was keeping guns in the house, and she described where they were being kept. (Upon searching, no guns were found, but I digress.) Nikki and Aaron went outside again, still hollering. Kristen informed me that she was leaving. I didn't blame her. But I didn't want to leave my mom and Jersey. So Kristen drove back to my grandparents' house (after remembering to grab her chocolate fondu set, of course), and I stayed to make sure things were going to calm down. I finally got Jersey to fall asleep and put her to bed. Aaron came home alone. Nikki walked to a friend's house. I got to leave (around 20-25 minutes after K left), and got home to find my grandma worried, my grandpa wondering if I'd brought home the ice cream (true story), and Kristen in tears.

Worst. Night. Ever.

People never truly understand another person's dysfunctional family, and usually that's fine. I was quite content with my closest friends not being a witness to the Cops worthy freakshow that is my family. But no. It was so humiliating for not only a friend to bear witness to the drama, but to have her frightened of it.

I would have bribed her with ice cream to not hold the experience (and psycho family) against me, but I'd forgotten it at the hell-house. And I was too busy walking as fast as I could in the dark streets and watching for attackers to remember the strawberry swirled goodness. Fortunately, I didn't need to bribe her because she is such a dear friend. And I hope she will not be scarred for the rest of her life.

I tossed and turned all night. I had nightmares about walking at night and fighting and worrying.

But today we tried to ignore the images of last night and had a nice lunch in Rice Lake. We roamed around stores, where I didn't buy anything. She bought herself two sweaters and a pair of pajama pants that highlighted her crotch and buttcrack. Pretty damn funny. And then off she went, driving home in the rain.

And now I'm off to wallow in the hazard wasteland that is my life.

9 comments:

April said...

Thanks, Jolene. You're always so nice.

We each created a card for Krista's ex. I think Kristen will put them on her blog soon.

i i eee said...

April, I'm so sorry for how the weekend turned out. Families can be the worst sometimes. I'm glad you at least got to have some early birthday fun.

And hopefully, Kristen will email me your address, because I'm sending out the November mix some time tomorrow! It's...different, so I hope you'll like it.

redlaw said...

April,

I can totally relate...my family specializes in dysfunction and sometimes, we even let our friends play along....funny how none of them ever want to play...

Anyway, I second what Jolene said - everyone knows (through painful experience) that you can't choose your family.

Big hugs!

Kristen said...

Oh, A-So. Don't worry. I'm a crier and I always freak out in the moment. For some reason I just can’t handle screaming. I'm very much a fight or flight kinda gal. And I knew I couldn't take your brother on so off like a birdy I flew. Although, if I was a bird I would be a chicken, cuz I feel like I wimp’d out on you.
No need to woo me back with Ice Cream. A doughnut wouldn't hurt though... :-)

April said...

Rachel, I can't wait to hear the CD you made. I keep thinking of songs I want to put on mine. I'm sure Kristen will email you my address.

Heather, thanks for the hugs. What is it about families that is so cringe-inducing? I mean besides the gun toting?

K-Lo, by doughnut, do you mean the horror movie my mom bought, "Blood and Doughnuts?" Cuz that, my friend, is grotesque.
And you're not a wimp. I mean, just look at all the road rage you possess.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Road Rage! OR (on Halloween, as appropriate) rage towards those who try to convert people on their way to the haunted ship. I wish I had been there.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, sorry you had such a rough night. We all have things in our families that we wish no one would ever see.

kiki said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anonymous said...

I liked Blood And Doughnuts. It was Canadian. It was comedic Horror. And it also featured a cameo by David Cronenberg.

I would not worry too much about the family situation. Embarassing yes, but it could have been much worse -- the guns could have been found (or what have you). If it makes you feel any better, my cousin is missing an arm. Feel better? No? Alright, I'll continue: when we were younger he had a prosthesis that ended in a hook. Walking into his room, I was met by him telling his friends to "hold my cousin down while I get my hook." Sometimes the sensible choice is the only choice: I grabbed his arm and ran and eventually tossed it in a dumpster.

I like to think of myself as enlightened: I will readily punch the disabled.