Monday, January 23, 2006

Hey, you don't slow-clap me, I slow-clap you!

So on Thursday I was approached by a reporter from my hometown newspaper. He asked if I would be willing to be featured for their weekly column, "Meet Your Neighbor." After turning bright red and stuttering for a while, I reluctantly agreed. Lord knows why. I don't even like running into people I know from high school, and yet I said yes to filling out a shallow survey about myself for the whole town to see. Apparently conceit won out over embarrassment.

Anyway, I filled the survey out and turned it in earlier this afternoon. I had my picture taken by a reporter and was sent on my way. I thought that for fun, I'd share with you my fascinating answers to the survey. And in italics, I'll share what I wanted to write but ultimately didn't for one reason or another.

Name: April GenericLastName

Job title: Library aide at CH and CA libraries

Years at job: A whopping 5 months.

Family members who live in town: Grandparents, mom, brother, sister and 17-mo. old niece.

Spare time activities: Reading, visiting friends in Superior, spending most of my time with my niece, Jersey, and eating.

Pet Peeves: People smoking around me, bad drivers, crowds, baby talk, stinky folks, idiots, cell phones in public places, my brother

Favorites:
Book:
"Catcher in the Rye," by J.D. Salinger, "A Brief History of the Flood," by Jean Harfenist, and the collected poems and stories of Dorothy Parker, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby, and "After You'd Gone," by Maggie O'Farrell.

Movies: "Bridget Jone's Diary," "About a Boy," "Tommy Boy," and anything featuring Jack Black. Also The Goonies, Labyrinth, Dumb and Dumber, and Mystery Men.

Sports: I left this one blank, although I really wanted to draw a picture of thumbs down and then write "ppbbbttt." But I didn't think it would translate so well on newsprint.

Music: John Mayer, Phantom Planet, Beck, James Blunt, and Michael Buble. Also the BeeGees and anything from the early '90s. Sad, isn't it?

TV Shows: Scrubs, Medium, and American Idol. And most reality tv shows. I'm a junkie.

Quote: "Three be the things I shall have till I die: Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye."
I really wanted to put "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."

What is something about yourself that others might not know: I worked as a proofreader at Fake Name Newspaper for 3 years, and I hope to work as an editor at a publishing company some day. And I want to do Joaquin Phoenix.

Interesting place you've lived or visited: I've been to Las Vegas and Texas, but my favorite vacation was when I visited my uncle Brad in Palm Springs, CA. Runner-up was the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.

Describe your version of the perfect day: Getting paid to read a book. Yes, I am a nerd. I really wanted to write something about getting laid, but that may have been inappropriate.

Who do you admire the most and why: My grandparents because they're always willing to lend a helping hand or unsolicited advice to friends and family in need. Also, they were proud about me being in the paper and talking about all the people who'd see it, so I thought I'd give them a little sump'n sump'n extra to brag about. :)

11 comments:

i i eee said...

Cute! You're a local celebrity. :D

redlaw said...

I liked it - only, I skimmed the part about italicized things being left out and for a split second, I thought this was going to be the funniest, most scandalous meet the neighbors article ever....then, around Do Joaquin Phoenix, I reread the top and realized anything in italics was not going into the paper.....

April said...

Although, perhaps if I HAD put that into the actual survey, the AP news would have picked it up, and Joaquin would have been intrigued. He'd then fly to Wisconsin to meet me, woo me, and steal me away to some exotic place for one night of passion. But it would all backfire once he realized he couldn't forget me.

Oh, Lord. That's the most Harlequin thing I've read in a long time.

N.F. said...

Did I tell you (or blog) that I'm going to see Michael Buble next month in VEGAS BABY! :) AND--I just am starting to get on the John Mayer bandwagon. Me likey, but me LOVEY some Michael Buble! :)

TOWR said...

I LOVE your movies list!

John said...

April- do NOT belittle the Beegees. They are musical Gods.

April said...

Silent, Thank goodness someone knew what I was talking about there. heh heh I've heard of Wall Drug, but never been there.

Noelle, Yes, you told me about going to see Michael Buble, but I was trying to ignore it. No fair.

Rachel, Thank you. I unfortunately had to eliminate numerous favorites to form that list. Numerous.

John, What part of the BeeGees being ON my favorites list should be considered as belittling them? I'm a bonafide fan.

Jolene, You want me to get you a copy? Or a xerox of it? And then you can make fun of it, cuz I just know they picked a dorky pic of me.

John said...

It just sounded as though you were ashamed.
BeeGees for presidents!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I was in our newspaper a few times when I was in high school, but that's about it.

April said...

John, I was ashamed of the early '90s music, but never the BeeGees. They rock my face off. hahahaha Sorry, that's probably only funny to me.

atsirk said...

You're so good to your grandparents! They'll totally frame the article!