Monday, November 21, 2005

"He could sell a ketchup popsicle to a lady in white gloves."

I drove safely on Friday afternoon. I was in the minority. It was the opening of deer hunting season, so everyone was on their way up north to various cabins and hunting lands. And they were in a hurry. In fact, I saw 6 different State Patrol vehicles on the drive up to Superior, and 5 of them had someone pulled over. Actually, one part made me laugh. There was a guy who'd been on my tail for a long time, very annoying. He finally whipped around me and was gone in a flash. About a mile later, there he was on the side of the road, with a trooper behind, lights flashing. So excellent.

Jolene and Krista couldn't make it up to Superior, though. Krista's car died (actually a funny story, hope she blogs about it) and Jolene had a lot of other things going on. When I got to Kristen's house, she'd already bought Chinese food for everyone, including Krista. Since Krista was a no-show, we split her dinner. Hello, sweet and sour chicken!

We did a lot of shopping. And eating. And jamming to Rachel's November CD. (Very excited for December's!!) In fact, while we were driving, a particular song came on (I forget which one, Kristen would remember), and Kristen told me about rocking out to that song. Conversation as follows.
Kristen: I love this song.
Me: Yeah.
Kristen: On my way to get the Chinese food yesterday, I was listening to this CD. I stopped at Taco John's and got a meat and potato burrito, when this song came on.
Me: *looking at her strange*
Kristen: So I was just driving along, eating my burrito, and picturing myself headbanging to this song. *she starts laughing*
Me: *still looking at her strangely*
Kristen: What?
Me: Let me get this straight. You were on your way to get Chinese food?
Kristen: Yeah.
Me: And you stopped. At Taco John's. To get a meat and potato burrito.
Kristen: Yeah.
Me: On your way to get Chinese food.
Kristen: Yup! *keeps laughing*

I could only shake my head and laugh.

Saturday morning we were up by 7....er.... :30. And along with one of her friends who came, Bozidar (don't know if I spelled that right), we helped her parents move tons of furniture from their old house into their new house. We worked until about 12. Then we had lunch. Kristen's mom kept asking Kristen if she thought $50 was enough to give Bozidar for helping out. Plus, he was getting Kristen's old bed and 2 air conditioners from the old house. So Kristen and I folded our arms in protest, like, "Well, we helped out, too, what do we get?" So her mom gave us money for the Olive Garden. Which we went to on Sunday.

We also went to Catherine's in Duluth on Saturday. I haven't had to drive in Duluth in like a year or two, so I was nervous. For those of you who don't know, Duluth is very hilly. Very. So I was stopped at a red light, going uphill, and Kristen tells me to take a left. When the light turned green, I took my foot off the brake, and we promptly began a slight roll backwards. I panicked, jammed my foot on the accelerator, and squealed my tires as we jerked up and around the corner. Embarrassing, but oh so funny. People on the sidewalks were staring at me. They probably called me a crazy woman driver. Oh, well. And if you're wondering if I purchased anything at Catherine's, I did. I bought a little heart charm and a package of tomato- and barbecue-flavored nuts called California Crunchies. These two I'm sending to my uncle in California. I thought it would be funny to send him something from Wisconsin with CA on the label. I'm a dork.

Sunday was my birthday. Kristen refused to go see Harry Potter with me, even though I've previously gone to see The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl with her. Kristen's dad actually bought me a little birthday cake. It was very sweet of him. I think he did it because I laugh at his jokes. :) Kristen gave me a bar of Lindor chocolate. I ate almost the whole thing last night. And by almost, I mean I gave my grandma two pieces and snarfed down the rest. But I shared my birthday cake with her, too!

I got a lot of Christmas shopping done. Thank goodness for Target's $1 bins. heh heh But since I got presents for some people who read this page, I cannot reveal my bargains. I did buy myself a present, though. Tommy Boy, the Holy Schnikes Edition. I know you're all jealous. And I got Jersey a Christmas outfit to wear for pictures and holiday partying. It's a red sweater with a black fur collar and glass buttons, and a pair of black velvet pants with a red ribbon trim. I already showed Mom and Manda. They are going to buy her a matching pair of black "stepping" shoes. That's what I used to call my fancy shoes when I was little. Stepping shoes. Or tapping shoes.

There were other things that happened, but I'll leave them for Kristen to write about at her discretion. Or lack thereof. :)

17 comments:

i i eee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

i i eee said...

And by the way, I'm so glad Kristen likes to "imagine" herself head-banging to my CD! :)

April said...

Thank you! :)

Yeah, well, Kristen likes to imagine a lot of things.

Anonymous said...

Happy bday, Rapie!

Kristen said...

"Psycho Killer" was the song. And it's good to listen to while eating a meat and potato burrito. AND I didn't eat Chinese food until way after the burrito. Like three hours later!

Do not! I don't like to imagine things...er...oh. The world in my head is so much more fun than the world outside it. Really, I'm not crazy.

redlaw said...

FELIZ NAVIDAD!!!!

(Pink Highlights stole what I was really going to say so this seemed to be the next best thing)

I love burritos (otherwise known as salads wrapped in a tortilla) and then Chinese too!! My tummy is jealous.

Kristen, do you not like Harry Potter?????

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! did you get me anything for christmas?? I love the dollar bins at target!!(hint hint)

atsirk said...

LOL! Cara is hilarious....and I also like the dollar bins at Target!

Your present(s) are on the way! Yay for you! Hopefully, the UPS driver doesn't go to McDonalds - or his truck might break down as did my car! :)

Kristen said...

Let me clarify why I didn't want to go see Harry Potter the weekend it opened. When I go to a movie I want it to be quiet and to not have children kicking my seat or whining that they can't see, have to pee, or blah, blah, blah. And I'd prefer if the adults around me wouldn't do those things either - OR talk on their bloody freaking monkey wanker cell phones. Opening weekend of Harry Potter would have been my worst nightmare. So it's not that I don't want to see it, I just don't wish to subject myself to its opening weekend.

April said...

Not that Kristen EVER talks during a movie. Or sighs loudly when she doesn't like the movie. Or erupts with laughter during tearful scenes. Or does pirate imitations. Okay, I did that last one, too.

redlaw said...

Pirate imitations!!

YES!! Now I know what I'm doing during the next movie I go see - take heed, Pink Highlights, cuz you're really the only person I go see movies with!

i i eee said...

Arrrrgh! Shiver me timbers!

Kristen said...

Let's swab the poop deck.

or is it "swap"? i'm never quite sure.

of course it's okay when i do those things during a movie. just not other people. :-)

Cloudhurler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cloudhurler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I about the post should prepare more info then it has.