Friday, November 11, 2005

So ding-dong, there's the doorbell. Hello, men in white.

I want the above song out of my head!! Dang you, Kristen!!

My mom is home from the hospital. Her surgery went fine and only took about 40 minutes. She recovered for about another hour and a half before I could take her home. She's been resting in her room. The hernia was a result from a weakness in the lining of her stomach wall, which allowed her intestine to push out. Gross. I think it's called an inguinal hernia. Or something.

As soon as she was out of surgery, they wheeled her back to her curtained "room" to let her rest. I stood next to her. She was awake, but still a little bit drugged up. She said she remembers saying to the doctors right before unconsciousness, "Jersey says 'Go, go, go!'" We laughed at that. Then she kept cracking jokes, but then every time she laughed, it hurt. The nerd. I told her to stop joking around. She goes, "Laughter is the best medicine," began laughing, and then promptly grabbed her side in pain. It was pretty darn funny. Like, when you're in church or a funeral, and you're supposed to be quiet and somber, but you get a case of the giggles? It was like that. But doubly funny because her laughing was hurting her, which sounds horrible, but she was laughing, too.

Her anesthisiologist was the same guy who'd performed Amanda's epidural....when I almost passed out and was ordered by a nurse to lay down on the floor. *embarrassed* He's a pretty good-looking guy. A cross between Kevin Costner and a slimmed-down Garth Brooks. After he talked for a while to Mom and left (before the surgery), Mom turned to me and said, "Now, what did he just say? I was too busy staring at him to listen." I replied, "I have no idea. I had 'Friends in Low Places' stuck in my head." :)

And while a guy was inserting the IV into Mom's hand, a nurse asked her if she'd brought any valuables with her. Mom said, "No, just my daughter." They nurse and guy-person (I don't know his title) both smiled, and the guy said, "Aw, what a tender moment." I responded, "Eh, it's just because I'm her ride home." They all laughed and left. I said to my mom, "Leave it to me to actually ruin a tender moment." Out with the sentiment, in with the funny!

There may or may not have been other funny things. I forget. I'm almost another year older, you know.

2 comments:

i i eee said...

Glad to know your mom's surgery went well. Hope she gets better soon!

"A cross between Kevin Costner and a slimmed-down Garth Brooks."

I don't know why, but I can't picture that for the life of me. Instead, the Burger King King keeps popping up in my head.

April said...

Stupid BK squared.